Tuesday, 1 September 2015

Review: The Girl With All the Gifts

The Girl With All the Gifts The Girl With All the Gifts by M.R. Carey
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A little cloying at times, and Melanie herself is a little too much a Mary-Sue. My biggest beef is that it's hard to take a threat seriously when everyone, even adults, even scientists, call a zombie a "hungry". I have no problem with not calling a thing a zombie; Walker, Biter, Undead, Dead-head, Stalker, Plague, Corpse, whatever, it happens. But "A hungry"? Really? That's the established term humanity is going with? We use this actually inspired-by-real-life natural biological occurrence to explain the origin of the zombie, completely with scientific names, then we go with "hungry".

Ok then.

But overall, I liked it. Plot points were nicely foreshadowed, I cared about the characters and Parks ended up as my favorite, with Justineau my least liked. It ended appropriately and it's a fairly fresh take on the zombie genre. I recommend it if you can get past the mildly twee aspects of it.

I listened to the audiobook, and it was very nicely produced with a very pleasant and engaging narrator.

View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | cna certification