Wednesday, 6 May 2015

Book Review: A is for Antichrist by Iain Rob Wright

A is for Antichrist (A-Z of Horror)A is for Antichrist by Iain Rob Wright
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


HAPPY BIRTHDAY…
A boy’s sixteenth birthday is a special occasion. It’s a time where he becomes a man. It’s a time that brings many changes.

But Isaac’s sixteenth birthday brings him more changes than most. He is not quite himself and suddenly his friends don’t seem so much like friends anymore. By the end of the party, Isaac will not just change from a boy into a man, but into something else entirely.
GROWING PAINS CAN BE HELL…


I downloaded this story for free from Amazon. My copy had editor corrections in it. I think Mr Wright uploaded the wrong ebook file.

This story starts with a sort of slow burn, with subtle hints as to what's going on. And at first I was having a lot of fun with it. I was smiling, I was amused, I was having a good time.

But then, the crap hits the fan and any sense of creepiness is dropped for a quick, violent ending.

We didn't get into Issac's head enough, for one. There was too much telling, not showing. In one moment a character is on fire and in the next, they're burned to a crisp and dead. No flailing, no trying to douse the fire, no smell of burning flesh and hair, no drama. Just "On fire" and then "Dead".

While it was fun for the first 3/4ths of the story, the characters were flat and interchangeable. I kept forgetting which character was which until I was given a description. It seems the author forgot about at least two of them through most of the story. I know I did.

When I started this review, I rated it three stars, but now that I've laid out all my problems with it, it's a 2 star.

This is the first of a series of shorts from A-Z. I don't think I'll be continuing this series.

View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | cna certification