Wednesday, 12 November 2014

Review: Breathe: A Very Short Story


Breathe: A Very Short Story
Breathe: A Very Short Story by Daniel Wallock

My rating: 1 of 5 stars



As you probably have all heard, I am a chronically ill little letter of the alphabet. I was born with (Among other things) Tetralogy of Fallot, which basically means there was a hole in two of the chambers in my heart and the oxidized blood with mixing with the un-oxidized blood. When I was 14 months old, I had several heart surgeries to correct it.

When I heard about Daniel Wallock's goal to give away 100,000 copies of his e-books, out of both a sense of congenital camaraderie and "yay, free books!" I hunted them down.

I read Breathe because it was short. Unfortunately it's not very good. The writing is clunky, and the story is predictable. I knew it was autobiographical but by the end of the first sentence I thought to myself "The last line is going to be And I was that boy... isn't it?"

The wording is repetitious and there's no empathy because everything is glossed over.

Everyone's afraid for him because he's slow and sickly but...they don't realize he's skipping school? Do they not know where he is?

When he wakes from surgery he's covered in blood. That's...not usually how that works. You'd think the doctors would try to practice a little more decorum, especially for a terrified 13 year old boy.

Then his parents sent him away. Where?

I know I sound harsh, and I'm sorry. I'm glad Daniel Wallock made it and is following his dream and I sincerely wish him all the best. I really, really do. But this is how I feel.

However, I downloaded all of his books and I will likely read all of them, with hope that they get better. From what little I skimmed of Right-Hearted Finding What's Right With a Wrong-Sided Heart, they do.



View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | cna certification