Sunday, 26 January 2014

Book Review - A Guardian of Innocents by Jeff Orton

A Guardian of InnocentsA Guardian of Innocents by Jeff Orton
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was the first self-published book I purchased for my Kindle. I found it on the AbsoluteWrite forums.

The premise intrigued me and I liked the first 3/4ths of the book a lot. Other than some formatting and spelling hiccups, I was right there along for the ride. Some of the graphic torture was just so brutal and visceral. I winced, I cringed, I re-read the descriptions because I'm a little bit sick like that.

Then the story took a sharp derail into...I don't even know what. It pulled real-life tragedies into it that, while I understand this story takes place "in our world", I raised an eyebrow at this particular development. And when said development was expanded upon, I just burst out laughing and I groaned. Then I told everyone who would listen (Room mate, best friend, nephew) "You would not believe what happens in this book!"

But by that point I was almost finished the book, so I kept with it.

And yet, there's room for a sequel which I kind of want to see. I want to see the final resolution to this all. There's potential for the conclusion to be absolutely epic, and I want to read a worthy last act.




View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | cna certification