Monday, 13 January 2014

Absolute Write January Blog Chain - Retro Gaming Icons.

This post is part of the January 2014 Blog Chain at Absolute Write. This month’s prompt is “Retro Gaming Icons”

This month's prompt:
Retro Gaming Icons

Whatever your definition of retro, gaming, or icons, now is the time to get your classic game on. Super Mario, Shigeru Miyamoto, the Atari 2600, Tim Schafer, Baldur's Gate...any game or gaming-related icon is up for grabs! Or, if you like, invent your own! Entries may be of any genre so long as they are 1000 words or less.

DooM.

Up until then, I had played Commander Keen, Jazz Jackrabbit, Mario Bros 1-3, BattleToads, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, Dino Hunter, Tappers, Sneakers, Jill of the Jungle, and various arcade games. DooM was so unlike anything I had played before, except of course for Wolfenstein, which I didn't like as much because you had to kill dogs.

When I was a kid, DooM was my heroin.

DooM brought my family together. Neighborhood kids came to our house because we had DooM. Family came from the States and we played DooM.  I was scared playing alone so I would listen to Weird Al and play DooM. The sun would glare into the screen so we'd throw a bed-sheet over the monitor and ourselves and play DooM.

I get the full version of DooM and after encountering my first Cacodeamon, I scream, manage to kill it, then pause and run out the room. Clearly I wasn't expecting that.

Dad got sick with cancer and upgraded the hell out of his computer and we played DooM. Dad's second to last Christmas, and he buys me DooM II and the Strategy Guide. (The last three games he got me, for the curious, were Primal Rage, DooM II and Warcraft II). I still have that guide, with all the levels of Arch Viles bookmarked.

I would spend hours going through levels trying to make monsters fight each other. I would warp specifically to Arch Vile levels.

When DooM III came out, I dragged a small child all through the mall just so I could find a copy, then I plunked down 80 dollars for the special edition. I have never done that for any game before or since. I don't think I ever will again.

DooM helped to inspire my sprite comic which I had for a time. Good times.

I saw the movie in theaters and it was one of the worst things I had ever seen. But at least the sets were not bad.

I read two of the novels and found them terrible, but in such an enjoyable way. I started reading the third one, but I'm currently preoccupied with books that are actually good.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="309"] It's A Soup...no really, it's a soup![/caption]

 

I lent my nephew 20 bucks, he pays me back by buying the DooM III BFG Edition. It's so much more difficult when you can't IDKFA & IDDQD all over the place.

My family plays a game sometimes where we take sticky notes and put words from a category on them and stick them to our forehead, and we have to guess what we are. It was my turn, and the category was "Things Q likes." (it's harder than it sounds.). Among the choices were Valtiel, Pepsi, Game of Thrones, and of course, DooM. The person who got DooM was having an impossible time guessing it. They knew it was a video game and kept guessing "Silent Hill". We all told them "You're going to feel really stupid when you see what it is." and I said "I've played a lot of games in my life." We both played this game when I was a kid so I thought for sure they would get it.
They didn't, and you could see their disappointment in themselves. They knew they should have known that.

Bottom line is, DooM will always have my love and respect. Even if you don't consider how much it did for gaming, for me alone, DooM was like another parent. It was always there when I wanted it to be there.
IDCLIP is for cowards. IDSPISPOPD all the way.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="298"] IDSPISPOPD! (Now I can Walk Through Walls!) Yes you want this shirt. You want it so hard.[/caption]

 

Participants:
orion_mk3 - http://nonexistentbooks.wordpress.com (link to post)
Ralph Pines - http://ralfast.wordpress.com (link to post)
meowzbark - http://www.lizzylessard.com (link to post)
pyrosama - http://matrix-hole.blogspot.com/ (link to post)
Anarchic Q - http://anarchicq.com/ You Are Here!
AndreF - http://lounge1506.blogspot.com/ (link to post)

 

7 comments:

Andre said...

I remember Doom back in the days when DoS games used to insult you for going to back to windows. I was young when I played that game and scared the hell out of me with the little blocks with teeth.

Q said...

*Snaps fingers!* WINDOWS!
That's what I forgot to say! I used to go to the final level of DooM II and get as many monsters in the room as I could, then run through with no clipping on, get them all pissed off, and watch the carnage. I would do this until the room was overloaded and the game would crash and send me back to Windows.

orion_mk3 said...

I never would have thought of DooM as a measure of someone's MooD until reading this :)

When I was a kid, I largely spurned DooM in favor of Marathon, which was practically the same, engine-wise, and also had online multiplayer. But it was a lot slower-paced and puzzle-heavy with a dense plot conveyed through text screens, and I was convinced that DooM's utter lack of a coherent story made it inferior. The fact that Marathon was a Macintosh exclusive helped in that regard.

Now, I appreciate DooM a lot more--it's both a very pure shooter in a way that modern shooters have forgotten, and it was peerless as a platform for kids to create their own content in the form of WADs (also outselling Marathon and its sequels by 10000-to-1). But ironically, the creators of Marathon were a little company called Bungie, and it was sort of a practice run for Halo, while iD software has struggled to top DooM ever since (compare their latest title, Rage, with Bungie's latest, Halo: Reach).

Diane Carlisle said...

I remember Wolfenstein! haha.

I never got into DooM, though. I remember Wolfenstein made me nauseous because of all the movement on the screen.

Lizzy said...

Is it sad that played DOOM quite often as a child but never managed to reach level 2? I was HORRIBLE at that game, yet it was so addicting. I failed even at the easy level.

But, it was fun! My sister and I played it for hours at a time. She was slightly better than me. I think she managed to get to the next level at least once.

It had amazing graphics and AI for its time. It was definitely a great choice for this month's prompt.

ralfast said...

My love f this game is well known, back when I didn't have to upgrade my old 486 every five minutes (except for Origin games, damn you Richard Garriot). Now a days I'm more of a console player, but I've gone back to playing games such as Master of Orion 2, Icewind Dale and a few others. Gotta love Good Old Games. :D

Tara Quan said...

Now that's dedication. Shooting games give me motion sickness so I never played Doom, but it sounds like a lot of fun.

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | cna certification