Thursday, 18 October 2012

Today's Theme is Mythology 101!

Earlier in the year I was killing time in the mall and wandered into the bookstore, as one does. I found The Encyclopedia of World Mythology and fell in love.

It had so much info that I needed for NEXT TO GODLINESS, much of which I committed to memory. Unfortunately I had no other choice because I hadn't the money to take the book home with me. Don't worry, I'm correcting that very soon thanks to gift cards.

Back on topic! The book also taught me a new word: Mythogenesis.
1: formation or production of myths
2: the tendency to make myths or to give mythical status to something (as a tradition or belief)

I wish I knew that word sooner because that would have been an awesome name for NEXT TO GODLINESS. Today I forgot the word, remember this was back in the first months of 2012, so through extensive searching through chat logs, I found the word again and looked it up. But from there I found other words. Words like Mythoclast: "a destroyer or debunker of myths" and Mythologize:"To explain a myth or build a myth around"

Aw, man!

Where were these words in 2008 when I needed a title?

I guess they're still usable if there's ever a sequel...

But, credit where it's due, here's a review of a book I love and set me on the path to greatly enjoying Mythology. It likely sowed the seeds of NEXT TO GODLINESS long before the idea of being a writer even entered my dark little brain. Enjoy!

Gods, Demigods and Demons: An Encyclopedia of Greek MythologyGods, Demigods and Demons: An Encyclopedia of Greek Mythology by Bernard Evslin
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I've actually had this book since Elementary school. I got it through the Scholastic book order things Elementary Schools offer. I was a geek, sue me.

As a kid I would read the entries and re-read my favourites. I must have read Athena's entry a hundred times, and then yell at the Hercules and Xena TV shows because they were wrong, wrong, wrong!.

While writing my own mythology epic I actually found myself running to this book, dog-eared and yellowed-paged as it is, for refresher courses on certain mythological figures or double checking things. It's a true encyclopedia that is packed with knowledge and straight-forward facts.

It's a great introduction to Greek Mythology and while it's not heavy or overwhelming, it's certainly not dumbed down for kids, making it a great read for everybody.


View all my reviews

4 comments:

Shannon said...

What a flash from the past! I totally loved that book too! Childhood reading of myths led me to specialize in myth (and medieval lit) in college. Like you I'm always irritated when pop anything doesn't bother to get their mythology right.

One of my books for school was called Mythography, which has three meanings: 1. The representation or expression of mythical subjects in art, literature, etc. 2. The collecting of myths; analysis of myths. 3. The creation of myth or myths.

My Shorter OES has a full page of myth words. You could have titles for a series of mythic proportions.

AnarchicQ said...

Like you I’m always irritated when pop anything doesn’t bother to get their mythology right.
Don't even get me started on Disney's Hercules!
I think the book had an entry for Mythography as well. I'm pretty sure it did.

I've been meandering around in your blog, you've got some fascinating stuff, especially your post on Greek Gods and Binding.

Shannon said...

Glad you liked it! I try to throw in a scholarly post every now and then.

I never watched Hercules. It seemed like a bad idea.

AnarchicQ said...

Here, have a bite-sized, drinking game version!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2dhxM-uPTU

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | cna certification