Wednesday, 9 May 2012

Skip, Skip, Skip...

I learned something about myself today.

I was complaining to a friend that I'm having a temporary bout of writer's block*. I am 99 words away from hitting the 61,000 word mark and I was stuck.  So I said to him "writer's block again!"

Then he asked me a strange question: "ever picture it as a monster?"

So of course, that made me inadvertently picture writer's block.

It's like a DVD skipping because of dust. There's a scene, then it stops, pauses, then replays the last few seconds before stopping again. Then it skips ahead to the next scene. But there are holes.

And I stare at the skipping DVD as if willing it to continue. Then I realize that it's not skipping due to dust, but that the DVD player is out of power and it needs to be recharged. So I go, or do, or think about something else. This recharges me, and the writer's block corrects itself. Eventually I'm once again inspired or the story itself is good and ready to progress. Until then I have to be patient.

 

*There's a school of thought that states "there's no such thing as writer's block". I don't want to discuss whether or not Writer's Block exists. I don't care to debate the point. I'm stuck, accept it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | cna certification