Monday, 19 March 2012

Next to Godliness Milestone

I started Next to Godliness many years ago, we all know this. I began writing it in February 2008 and have been working on it, as well as other projects since then.

Today it reached 50,000 words.

I know it's nothing amazingly impressive since it's taken me four years to get that basic word-count while there's an entire month dedicated to reaching that very same count.

I don't care.

Don't worry, I'm not patting myself on the back saying "good job Q" but the fact is that 50K is the scant side of official novel length. Next to Godliness is officially the size of a novel.

This is a milestone because Next to Godliness was only supposed to be 20K-25K, a little, simple novella but I was pleasantly surprised when I realized that it was growing in scope.

I've said it on Twitter before and I'll repeat it here. Writing Gods is like herding cats. And Gods will do what they want and often I'm just demoted to transcribing.

Yet, at the same time, I am writing Next to Godliness for me. I'm telling the story I want to read as opposed to writing it because I have to get it out there as a service to my characters. That's likely why I've been much slower and steadier with it.

At 50K it is now almost finished, tonight I wrote a big reveal and tied up the fate (Badum-tish!) of another character. I would estimate that I have 5,000, maybe 10,000 more words before the end. Until recently I had been nervous about the idea of the story wrapping up but I think it was just because I had to write the big reveal, now I have. Everything else is more or less planned out already and it's just a matter of putting it down as text.

So, let's see how much farther there is to go, shall we?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | cna certification