Friday, 2 April 2010

Yes, I Do Quizzes, toome

Found via Furikku on LJ

1. Tell us about your favorite writing project/universe that you've worked with and why.
Project C. It's speculative fiction in a post-apocalyptic world. I got to build an entire world but also drop in bits and peices from some of my existing projects.

2. How many characters do you have? Do you prefer males or females?
At last count there were about 112, but that was before I started Blood in the Water and I didn't include Next to Godliness. I think I tend to create males. I don't know why.

3. How do you come up with names, for characters (and for places if you're writing about fictional places)?
Sometimes the characters tell me their names (NecroRaver, Suicide, Issues of Pylon, for some examples.) and sometimes I completely thrust a name upon them. (Craft, QXVII.)

I try to at least make the names appropriate to the setting, so no medieval characters would be named something like Tsuki or anything.

With NecroRaver, the first thing I knew about him was his name and I worked up from there. Suicide and Issues were cases of "I want a character named ______."

4. Tell us about one of your first stories/characters!
My neighbours and I would play together and there was one game we used to play where we were demons and another neighbour was God (Therefore he had ALL our powers.) We were bipedal wolves with goat horns and bat wings. One of us had fire, one of us had lightning powers, water powers, and one had "TV Powers" which basically meant she could pause, stop, rewind and fastforward time and objects.

I had shadow teleportation powers and I was black and red. My name was Shadow. I miss being a kid.

My first actual original character was ShadowWolf, an outgrowth of Shadow and now a central character of Elven Lacryment.
She was my D&D character and about as Mary-Sue as you could get. She's still rather Sue-ish but I stripped a lot of that away, which shows how bad she really was.

I've had characters before her and Shadow of course, but they were all ganked from TV and movies, which I guess contributes to my being a fanfiction writer.

5. By age, who is your youngest character? Oldest? How about “youngest” and “oldest” in terms of when you created them?

By age I'd have to say Katie from The Amethyst Breed. She's 14. Katie is also the newest character of mine. I made her about a week ago. My oldest character is Algol Bedlam, vampire who's older than Jesus Christ. The character I've had the longest is Otis/Growl. He was a snake which had a rattle, a cobra hood, diamonds on his back and every single poison. I've made him into a lizard, changed his name to Growl and gave him to my character Moroi.

6. Where are you most comfortable writing? At what time of day? Computer or good ol' pen and paper?
My room, on my couch on my laptop.

7. Do you listen to music while you write? What kind? Are there any songs you like to relate/apply to your characters?
I have whole playlists dedicated to stories and characters. NecroRaver gets Nick Cave, epic songs and Covenant, Suicide gets Korn and Stabbing Westward, ShadowWolf gets Drain STH. You can see some of the playlists on my Grooveshark account

8. What's your favorite genre to write? To read?

Post-apocalyptic dystopia! I like to read fiction, horror and biography, but not high-fantasy or sci-fi unless it's simple or Marvel comics related. I don't know why that is because I used to read the Pern novels and the Dealing with Dragons series and then I just sort of stopped reading high-fantasy. Oh well.

9. How do you get ideas for your characters? Describe the process of creating them.
It's different for each character. Some are necessary creations (I need an antagonist/D&D character/Plot device/Narrator) and some just happen and enforce themselves on me.

But let's say I needed a new character. Let's use Katie as an example because she's new. I started with her purpose, then the design, attitude, then finally name. Her backstory came part and parcel with her attitude.

10. What are some really weird situations your characters have been in? Everything from serious canon scenes to meme questions counts!
Once Suicide turned into a woman from eating enchanted chocolate. Bras and cramps SUCK.
Once Drow went to something like Silent Hill. It screwed up his head for a while, he was actually abstaining from women a while after that.

11. Who is your favorite character to write? Least favorite?
NecroRaver is fun. Evil and fun. Drow is also fun. My least favorite is probably Phantasmagoria because his brain is just... askew.

12. In what story did you feel you did the best job of worldbuilding? Any side-notes on it you'd like to share?
Necropolis.It's sort of Vancouver meets LA meets Gotham City meets Silent Hill. A lot of it is thanks to Shoepixie. She's contributed many ideas, factions, citizens, even holidays!
But the framework of Necropolis is all me. Me and music.

13. What's your favorite culture to write, fictional or not?
No.

14. How do you map out locations, if needed? Do you have any to show us?
I map them out in my head and then I draw it on paper. I suck at maps though.

15. Midway question! Tell us about a writer you admire, whether professional or not!
Drew Hayes of Poison Elves, Sam Kieth of The Maxx, Ojo, Zero Girl, Warren Ellis thanks to Transmetropolitan, Alan Moore for his contribution on The Maxx (yes), Mark Z. Danielwsky for HOUSE of Leaves, even if I cannot for the life of me read Only Revolutions. POE is a great lyricist. Alice Cooper, Nick Cave and whoever writes Rishloo's songs.

16. Do you write romantic relationships? How do you do with those, and how “far” are you willing to go in your writing? ;)
Once upon a time I promised myself that the first thing I wrote would not have a romantic subplot. I broke my own promise. Oh well.

I tend to fade to black or have something interrupt or distract whoever's about to get it on. Because I am a tease.

17. Favorite protagonist and why!
Um. Hm. ShadowWolf because she has a special place to me. But her aside, the protagonist of Project C because he was a character born out of purpose, to tell a story, not just a character made because it would be a cool idea.

18. Favorite antagonist and why!
NecroRaver. Because he's NecroRaver.

19. Favorite minor that decided to shove himself into the spotlight and why!
Either NecroRaver or Suicide. Necro started as a bit character and Suicide ....is Suicide. He sort of inserted himself into Elven Lacryment.

20. What are your favorite character interactions to write?
Algol and Drow play off eachother nicely. I've been contemplating doing more comics with those two.

21. Do any of your characters have children? How well do you write them?
Some of them do. I can't tell you who because that's just spoiler territory.

22. Tell us about one scene between your characters that you've never written or told anyone about before! Serious or not.

Algol: *hands Drow a book* Here, read this.
Drow: *Reads the cover* ...House of Leaves...
*One week later*
*A book flies towards Algol's head*
Drow: *Off-panel* WHAT THE FUCK?!

23. How long does it usually take you to complete an entire story—from planning to writing to posting (if you post your work)?
Depends. Fan-fic usually takes a day to a week. Project C took months and months and it's still not done, but the first draft took about 4 months.

24. How willing are you to kill your characters if the plot so demands it? What's the most interesting way you've killed someone?
I'm very Rocks Fall Everyone Dies. Death happens. I think betrayal is worse than death.

The most interesting way I've killed someone will be the penultimate scene in Elven Lacryment.

25. Do any of your characters have pets? Tell us about them.
ShadowWolf has Xanther, her wolf companion but he's not really a pet.
Dameon Silverskull has a vulture.
Suicide used to have a horse.

26. Let's talk art! Do you draw your characters? Do others draw them? Pick one of your OCs and post your favorite picture of him!
Yes.
ShadowWolf.

27. Along similar lines, do appearances play a big role in your stories? Tell us about them, or if not, how you go about designing your characters.
I hate that people hate Obligatory Paragraphs of Description. But to me, character design is very important. Not only are my own creations important to me but I like to know what other characters look like. If your story has a lot of characters, I would like some defining characteristics other than a name.

28. Have you ever written a character with physical or mental disabilities? Describe them, and if there's nothing major to speak of, tell us a few smaller ones.
Issues is mute, due to torture.
Moroi is paranoid schizophrenic.
NecroRaver is an arm amputee.
Gideon is a double leg amputee.
Ehren Manus has no feet.

29. How often do you think about writing? Ever come across something IRL that reminds you of your story/characters?
Always. A music video, a book. Once I saw a guy at a club who looked a lot like NecroRaver. That same night I also saw a Suicide. It was surreal.

30. Final question! Tag someone! And tell us what you like about that person as a writer and/or about one of his/her characters!
I suggest all the writers reading this do it too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | cna certification