Thursday, 26 November 2009

Movie Reviews: Franklyn and Ink

I watched two artsy movies last night. The first one was a disappointment. The second one was one of the most beautiful movies I have ever seen.

The first one was Franklyn, the story about three un-connected characters joined together by fate.


It had some good ideas, but there felt like  something was missing. I think it was production value. Seriously, this movie is Watchmen meets Magnolia, two movies I very much like (Well, actually, I find Watchmen to be kinda Meh). It had some good ideas, I love the concept of Meanwhile City, where every faith ever imagined exists, and Mister Another Brick In The Wall Face there, who's real name is Preest, is a man with no faith at all. It had interesting concepts but it failed. Mostly because most of the characters were dull, and Preest was Rorschach-Lite. Seriously, the guy could be V's little tag along brother.

This movie could have been so, so much more. Instead it just seemed to falter after coming up with the idea that "Hm, Super-heroes are big right now..."

Now, the other movie I had the extreme pleasure to watch last night was Ink


Emma is a little girl who is stolen away one night to the world of Dreams and Death by the creature Ink, and a small band of dream-people have to rescue her or else she'll die in the real world. This movie is shiveringly creepy at times and beautiful at others. During the first 11 minutes I could barely breathe, it was so haunting and beautiful.


I never realized that I so badly craved a modern fairy-tale. This movie brings to mind both MirrorMask and Pan's Labyrinth, the two most modern fairy-tales I can think of. Ink did it better.


I don't know what it is, but I find Neil Gaiman's work very dull. I love watching his interviews, but his work never gripped me. It's all too depressing and dry. Even MirrorMask just seemed to plod on and on (and on and on and on...)

Ink however, took the basic feel of MirrorMask and made it, y'know, entertaining.


Pan's Labrynth is a great movie, but the problem with it is that there are too many holes in the fantasy story. The princess wanted to run away, so she did. But now she wants to go back to the fantasy land. Why? No, really, why?
Looking it up on Wikipedia, apparently she was curious about the human world. Fair enough, but that didn't seem to communicate well during the film.


Anyway, Ink is a beautiful, unique and original movie, if you can, I strongly suggest purchasing it, as it is a completely indie film.


(Just a reminder that I have A GIRL CALLED KERMIT Prints for sale. All money goes to Childsplay Charity. Email me at AnarchicQ(AT)Gmail.com for more info)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | cna certification